47 Meters Down and Out

47 Meters Down could not replicate its US success in China.  It grossed just $6m and was out of the top ten after 7 days.  This was actually enough to become its second largest market, though.  It was one of the usual pack of last-minute, half-hearted December releases hoping to hit big in the world's second biggest market, and this year it arrived along with Schwarzenegger's Aftermath, Berg's latest Wahlberg-er, Patriots Day, and firefighter melodrama, Only the Brave.

Anyway, I saw this statue/standee at Coastal City Cinema in Nanshan, Shenzhen.  Thought it was worthy of sharing just because of how bad it is.  It reminds me of a shoddily made fairground sculpture from North China rebranded with a 47 Meters Down plaque and presented as a legitimate cinema foyer attraction.


I did not see it in Chinese cinemas.  Thankfully, because it's not worth seeing at the cinema.  Here is my review:

It wasn't bad, but I am not sure I could sit through it again. Decent twist ending (some nice music in the final scene), though I felt it was only there to offer some excitement in the film (via hallucination). The sharks should have killed them countless times. Kind of bad acting too. Normal people would have been utterly petrified, and unable to move for fear of getting eaten alive by sharks. I never got anything from these girls apart from surface despair. C+


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The Humanity Bureau

REVIEW: I Love You, Daddy

REVIEW: Rampage